Midland Railway 1913 bogie well wagon
Mouldering away in Bombardier's Crewe works, this 1913-built MR wagon had been modified to carry the Sulzer power units from BR locos and was probably last used to convey them to the Vickers shipyard at Barrow-in-Furness when the latter had a contract to rebuild the engines for BR.
As Bombardier was clearing the works site, its presence was noted by an enthusiast who negotiated a price with Bombardier to save it, but then offered it through E-bay at the same figure. Following it up, Andrew inspected the wagon and realised it would be useful for the Darley Dale works should it be neccessary to move a stripped loco off our planned matterson jacking area, e.g. for shotblasting or if it became essential to put another loco into the jacks instead.
Subsequent research identified the wagon as one of two built by the MR in 1913, the other having long been scrapped.
The wagon was moved onto the famous traverser at Crewe to facilitate access by low loader, which brought the wagon to Peak Rail on the 23rd October 2014. Although the timber buffer beams (which are bolted to the steel channel headstocks) are completely rotten and will require replacement, and some of the BR modifications for engine-carrying will need to reversed-back to original spec, the wagon was found to roll easily on arrival and it is hoped will form a useful addition to general use in the future.
The wagon is jointly owned with Dr Ben Riley