Andrew Briddon Locos

Andrew Briddon Locos

preserved railway vehicles

Yorkshire Engine 0-4-0DH: James

The first two locomotives Andrew bought were the YEC 0-4-0DHs “James” and “Jack”.

img 1138 edit

Works Number 2675
Built 1960
Weight 30tons (in working order)
Power Unit Rolls-Royce C6SFL, 12 litre, 6 cylinder supercharged
Rating 233bhp at 1800rpm
Transmission Twin Disc CF10000 series torque converter, “Yorkshire” final drive gearbox
Present Location Peak Rail Darley Dale
Photos Gallery

 

Both built for South Yorkshire Chemicals at Parkgate, they were bought by Thomas Hills when SYC finished and sold on to the Ford Motor Company at Halewood, where they were known as "2" and "3" (Number "1" was another YEC 0-4-0DH, ex ICI Runcorn). Eventually Halewood moved over to hiring locos, and Jack and James were parked up, with James nominally operational and Jack very much a "spares donor". In due course they were offered for sale as a pair. With no interest shown other than Andrew, his bid went through without problem and Ford donated all relevant spare parts from Halewoood stores. Initially Andrew took them to Long Marston, and in late 2001 James operated trains for the MoD Territorial Army exercise "Operation Silver Beaver", probably the last ever military rail traffic

 

 

 

 

 

 

at Long Marston. With the site sold to St Modwen Properties and commercial rail vehicle storage being undertaken by Motorail Logistics, "James" occasionally helped out when other locos were out of service.

img 1848 editimg 0614 2

In 2006 it left for Nantmawr and the Cambrian Railway Society, being their first working loco on the site. In April 2009 it transferred to the Derwent Valley Railway near York, where it is seen (above right). A vacuum brake installation had to be completed before the loco handled passenger trains at Murton, and although work did proceed on this, distance and open-air facilities mitigated against rapid progress and in early 2011 it was agreed that it would be exchanged for Hibberd Planet "Pluto", the latter being staged via Peak Rail to enable the vac-fit to be completed. James was transferred to Peak Rail on the 3rd May 2013, where it is planned to use the loco as shunter for the new 'Geoffrey Briddon Building'. It was restored to operation on the 5th (2013) (blog entry here), albeit still requiring considerable cosmetic attention.

Moved to Darley Dale as part of a Peak Rail engineering train in January 2015, it has been operating as works shunter, as planned, and returned to Rowsley on the 1st May to bring down 14 901 and other vehicles.

IMG 0271 abl

Archived News

2009 13th July    
  29th July    

Cookies are used for the essential operation of thi site and have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site