The North British Locomotive Company was established in Glasgow by the amalgamation of 3 competitors - Sharp Stewart, Dubs & Co and Neilson - in 1903. It was then the largest locomotive manufacturer in Europe, producing many locomotives for main line railway companies, its distinctive diamond-shaped works plate being famous in many parts of the world.
After the second World War, it entered the diesel loco market, but in order to keep its extensive manufacturing plant occupied, did so by arranging to licence-build prime-movers from MAN and transmissions by Voith. It had moderate success in the UK industrial market but all its locomotives produced for British Railways under the modernisation plans suffered problems and had short working lives. Unable to keep up a through-put of locomotive orders, NBL went into liquidation in April 1962.