The numerous limestone quarries in the Buxton area mostly amalgamated into 'Buxton Lime Firms' and later became part of ICI. The main engineering facilities, located at Tunstead quarries, were known as the 'South Central Workshops'.
Contemporary with the development of the Sentinel diesel hydraulic locomotive, which was radically different to traditional diesel shunting locomotives, SCW rebuilt a former Avonside 0-4-0ST of 1923 into a 0-4-0DH locomotive, using a Rolls-Royce C6NFL engine, CO 10,000 converter and RF25 gearbox. Three further locomotives were rebuilt along similar lines, but were based on existing diesel locos and retained the original drivelines.
By the 1970s SCW concentrated on other areas and modern proprietory locomotives were bought as second generation replacements.