F. C. Hibberd and Co Ltd was founded in 1927 to build industrial diesel locomotives. Hibberd used the name Planet for their locomotives.
In 1932 the company acquired the drawings, patents etc. from the liquidator of James and Frederick Howard Ltd of Bedford who had built internal combustion locos from about 1923 to 1931 and the (new) company moved to Park Royal.
From 1956 Thomas Hill (Rotherham) Ltd, sold Hibberd locomotives to non-Hibberd customers on an informal commission basis until 1960. The relationship ended because Hibberd were becoming worried that THR would sell their own locomotives to customers in preference to the Hibberd product.
The company was acquired by the Butterley Co in the early 1960s and in 1964 production was moved to Ripley. The last locomotive built to a Hibberd design was delivered in 1968.